The Guild meets at Ciliau Aeron Village Hall, a few mile sinland of Aberaeron, Ceredigion.
Members pay an annual membership fee (£10 single, £12.50 family), due at or just following the AGM in October each year.
Membership entitles the member to:
- Attend monthly Guild meetings for a door fee of £1.50 which goes towards the cost of tea and coffee and hiring the room.
- Attend workshops, events and lectures arranged by the Guild.(Fees are charged for workshops and some events or lectures, to help cover costs. A small deposit is sometimes required.)
- Hire Guild equipment. For a small fee members can arrange to hire a range of equipment such as a spinning wheel or the drum carder.
- Borrow books and magazines from the Guild library (access available at Guild meetings). Just sign books out and sign them back in again when you return them the following month.
- Attend exhibitions and events representing the Guild.
- Receive regular newsletters by e-mail.
The Guild was formed in November 1975 (and later affiliated to the Association of Weavers, Spinners and Dyers) as a result of the enthusiasm shown at spinning and weaving classes arranged by Eleanor Kelsall and John Jones.
At the first meeting the constitution was drawn up:
"The objects of the Guild shall be to maintain and develop the handicrafts of spinning, weaving and dyeing, to work together with kindred bodies, and to assist members in selling their work.
To encourage and maintain integrity and excellence of craftsmanship in handweaving, spinning and dyeing.
To foster a sense of beauty of material, texture, colour and design.
To provide opportunities for the interchange of information, for enlarging the knowledge at holiday schools, exhibitions, lectures and library facilities."
...Taken from articles in The Dragon's Yarn, Spring 2003 and Tangled Yarns, 1996
In 2005 the Guild celebrated its 30th anniversary with a two-week long exhibition at Llanerchaeron (a National Trust property). This was staffed by Guild members who were on hand to demonstrate spinning and weaving to visitors and sign up a few new members.
Since May 2012 the Guild meets at Ciliau Aeron Village Hall, a few mile sinland of Aberaeron, Ceredigion. The Guild previously met at Ysgol Gyfun Aberaeron.